Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A little ignorance

As I waited at the Dr's office to pick up some stuff I was trying to think access wise how I'd rate them. I now would give them a 2/10 for access for people with "disabilities". They don't have an e-mail address or TTY for people who need an alternate way of getting hold of the secretary or the doctor, and the phone line they do have is automated so I had to repeat the selections a few times because I didn't understand what was being said. The room is set up weird so that the acoustics kind of suck. Also the aisles of chairs ar pretty narrow... which was kinda blah. I don't mind too much some of the downsides because my doctor is a sweetheart, she's so nice!

When I went this afternoon to the office I went up to the desk that is blocked by one of those 2 way plexi glass things. With a hole in the middle to talk through. I had to go on my tippy toes to be able to go closer to the hole in the plexi glass to be able to hear the secretary better, and then when I asked her to repeat herself (for like the 5th time) she gave me the dirtiest look ever. I don't get why people cannot be polite. I work at a bank and I am always polite even if the customer is yelling at me for something that is out of my control. All I asked was if she could repeat herself because it's hard to hear someone through plexi glass and a room full of patients who are coughing, talking, etc. I just would like a little more respect and courtesy from people...is that too much to ask?

2 comments:

JennyB said...

It is too much to ask of some people unfortunately.

Www.lozsmedicsljourney.blogspot.co.uk said...

God you have to hate those people dont you? Some people are so ignorant and dont have any kindaa patience to help deaf people. if i was you i would complain and tell them to take the glass barrier down!!
I always tell the doctors receptionist that i am deaf and that i need someone to tell me when my name is called out because i cant hear ,my name being announced on the speaker.